Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Being a parent...

Most of you know I have two sons....they are 24 and 26 years old.


November 7, 1985
September 26, 1987

spring 1988




I am now speaking to you from my heart.

My boys have been the sources of unbelievable joy--

Never  in my wildest dreams

did I ever think

I could have so much love for another person.

Just as Our Heavenly Father loves us.

Enough to give his son 

to die

on a cross 

for me

and 

for you...

Unbelievable love.
Unending compassion.
Grace everlasting.

If he loves me that much, I have no doubt how much he loves my boys.

My boys are men now.

I have done my part.

My Father entrusted me to 
love
teach
play
enjoy
and bring them up in the way  they should go.

I did the very best I knew how.

As I look at them today,

I know they are 
"unfinsihed" 
people. 
(in the words of Sean Brown)...

I know they are saved.
I know they are nice people.
I know they are not walking with Jesus right now.
 
 I never expected them to make some of the choices they make.

I am not happy about them.

I am sad.

Unmet expectations.

 When I look back at their pictures as babies, we had so many hopes dreams, plans, expectations for them to have the best of everything.  We wanted to make sure they had it better than we did growing up.
And they did.  They had two parents who loved them and only ever wanted the very best for them.

What happened?

I can no longer "parent" them.

All I can do is

 pray without ceasing.

and love them...

Honestly,
some days that is hard.

so will you pray with me?

for them?

 
 




 

2 comments: